The Athletic Development Program
The K-5 Athletic Development Program is a "feeder" program for our Middle School, and ultimately our Upper School athletic program and is another step towards matching and surpassing the success of other area Charter Schools on the fields of play, just as we strive to do in the classroom. We offer our MICS students the opportunity to play for their school and all of the positives that come with that. These young athletes experience an extension of the school spirit that they get during the school day at MICS. Since our students play as a team we supply our own coaches that would be trained to teach the character values that we so highly prize. Our athletes begin to form those team bonds that are so crucial in fielding a competitive program, and the chance to play for their school might entice some children to play sports who might otherwise not in a recreational league where they don't know anyone.
K-5 Basketball Program
We currently offer basketball for MICS K-5 students and play in the Mt. Holly Optimist Club League. Our ADP basketball program has grown from 55 players in our first year, to 97 this past 2017-18 season.
- Registration is done electronically https://www.parentsquare.com/feeds/1055240
- The season begins late October with skills assessments and practices usually starts 2nd week of November.
- MIOC sets the practice and game schedule so it is not published until they have completed their registrations completed and also see how many teams MICS will add.
- Practice dates and times depend upon MICS coaches availability, they are not set until MIOC sends out the practice time and location options. We do hope to be able to use the new MICS LS gym this season for LS Basketball for some practices this year.
- Games usually begin in early January and are played on Friday nights and Saturdays at local gyms and season ends late February.
- U6 registration fee is $90.00, U8 and above is $110.00, this may increase if MIOC increases the fee we pay them.
K-5 Lacrosse Program
We are excited to announce that MI Lacrosse is interested in growing their partnership with the MICS Athletic Department by helping to offer Lacrosse within the Lower School Athletic Development Program. We would like to know if your child would be interested in participating next Spring, playing as a Raptor with their friends and classmates . Our LS Basketball program has had much success, with over 350 MICS students participating over the past 5 seasons.
We currently have a Middle School team that plays in the MCLC conference and would love to establish a feeder program for our MS and HS teams. We are also looking for parents who are interested in learning the game and becoming volunteer coaches for the LS program. There are coaching clinic/training programs available that would teach you everything you need to know for K-5 level lacrosse.
Please check out MI Lacrosse and the great things they are doing in our community http://www.milacrosse.org.
If you are interested follow the link to the Google form below to answer a few questions.
Estimated cost to participate would be no more than $100.00 for K-2nd and $170.00 for U8-U10 team, this price is all inclusive (equipment, uniforms, etc.). Detailed information about the season, number of practices, games, and what’s included will be posted on the MICS website, Athletics tab, K-5 Athletic Development Program (link below)