Thank you for your interest in Mountain Island Charter School!
The 2020-2021 Admission Lottery has been completed.
We are no longer accepting waltlist applications for the 2020-2021 school year.
Registration for the next lottery (2021-2022 school year) will open here on November 1st.
MICS's 2020-2021 school year lottery was held at Mountain Island Charter School on February 12, 2020. Results were sent to parents by email, if an address was supplied, or by postal service.
The MICS lottery is open to the general public, but attendance is not required for acceptance.
The lottery procedure must ensure that each eligible applicant, who submitted an application prior to the lottery application deadline, will have an equal opportunity to be randomly selected. It must also continue until all eligible applicants have been selected and placed on a final list.
The lottery will be run by a computer program written specifically for MICS.
When the lottery is run, it will assign a random number to every single applicant. Family members will be entered as a group and will all be placed at the same time. The applicants are then either placed or wait listed according to priority and space availability in each grade level. Twins and triplets are always admitted together and cannot be split at admission.
Priority of Enrollment
Priority in enrollment is not a guarantee of a seat, there must be available space in grade or program. Once a student uses any enrollment priority to enroll, he or she may not use any priority again. Enrolled students who subsequently withdraw must use the lottery process without priority to re-enroll. The only exception is for the Opportunity priority.
Enrollment priority may be awarded to the following, with priority given in this order:
1. Children of the school's full time employees and Board of Directors. This number cannot exceed 15% of the school's total enrollment unless granted a waiver by the State Board of Education.
2. Siblings of currently enrolled students. Applicants must share a residence and a legal guardian with a currently enrolled MICS student to be considered an eligible sibling.
3. Siblings of MICS graduates. Enrollment priority will be given to siblings for 5 years following the graduation of a MICS student who completed four years of high school at MICS.
4. Opportunity priority. A student who was enrolled at MICS within the two previous school years but left to participate in (1) an academic study abroad program or competitive admission residential program or (2) because of the vocational opportunities of the student's parent.
5. Current Charter school students. A student enrolled in another NC Charter school in the previous school year.
Post Application Period Applications
The school will decide each year whether or not to accept applications after the deadline.
If accepted, any applications received after the stated deadline will be added to the end of the waiting list in the order that they are received. Order of receipt will be determined by the time stamp on the email or online entry, and the time of day that standard mail is delivered on that day. If multiple late entries are received simultaneously (exact same timestamp or mail delivery day), they will be listed in alphabetical order of their middle name (or first if no middle is given).
For the 2020-2021 school year, late entries will be accepted (added to the end of the wait list), until at least the first day of school, or the date where it appears the waiting list will be too long to accommodate. Any late enrollment application cutoff will be posted on the website and is effective immediately.
For questions or more information regarding enrollment, please contact the Registrar at email@example.com